Accept scientificity as a distinct epistemic stance that epistemic agents can take towards theories. Also accept several questions concerning the definition of scientificity and the applicability of scientificity to other epistemic elements, such as methods and questions, as legitimate topics of scientonomic inquiry.
It is currently accepted in scientonomy that epistemic agents can take three unique and independent stances towards theories, viz., acceptance, use, and pursuit. However, the history of science shows that an independent stance of scientificity (i.e., whether a theory is considered scientific or unscientific) has been taken by epistemic agents towards theories. The stance of scientificity can be taken towards a theory independently of whether it is accepted, used, or pursued. Thus, we suggest that scientificity is a unique epistemic stance taken by epistemic agents towards theories.
Theories To Accept
- Scientificity Is a Subtype of Epistemic Stance (Sarwar-Fraser-2018): Scientificity is a subtype of Epistemic Stance, i.e. epistemic stance is a supertype of scientificity.
- Epistemic Stances Towards Theories - Scientificity (Sarwar-Fraser-2018): The stance of scientificity can be taken towards a theory.
Questions To Accept
- Scientificity: What is scientificity? How should it be defined?
- Scientificity of Methods: Can the epistemic stance of scientificity be taken towards methods? Can there be unscientific or pseudoscientific methods?
- Scientificity of Questions: Can the epistemic stance of scientificity be taken towards questions? Can there be unscientific or pseudoscientific questions?
This modification attempts to answer the following question(s):
- Epistemic Stances Towards Theories: What types of epistemic stances can be taken by epistemic agents towards theories?
- Subtypes of Epistemic Stance: What are the subtypes of an epistemic stance?
- Supertypes of Scientificity: What are the supertypes of a scientificity?
The modification is currently being evaluated; a verdict is pending.
Click on the Discussion tab for comments.
- Sarwar, Ameer and Fraser, Patrick. (2018) Scientificity and The Law of Theory Demarcation. Scientonomy 2, 55-66. Retrieved from https://www.scientojournal.com/index.php/scientonomy/article/view/31275.