Lakatos, Imre. (1978) Philosophical Papers: Volume 1. The Methodology of Scientific Research Programmes. Cambridge University Press.
|Title||Philosophical Papers: Volume 1. The Methodology of Scientific Research Programmes|
|Publisher||Cambridge University Press|
Imre Lakatos' philosophical and scientific papers are published here in two volumes. Volume I brings together his very influential but scattered papers on the philosophy of the physical sciences, and includes one important unpublished essay on the effect of Newton's scientific achievement.
Imre Lakatos had an influence out of all proportion to the length of his philosophical career. This collection exhibits and confirms the originality, range and the essential unity of his work. It demonstrates too the force and spirit he brought to every issue with which he engaged, from his most abstract mathematical work to his passionate 'Letter to the director of the LSE'. Lakatos' ideas are now the focus of widespread and increasing interest, and these volumes should make possible for the first time their study as a whole and their proper assessment.
Articles in This Book
Here are the articles included in this book:
- Lakatos (1970): Lakatos, Imre. (1970) Falsification and the Methodology of Scientific Research Programmes. In Lakatos (1978a), 8-101.
- Lakatos (1971a): Lakatos, Imre. (1971) History of Science and Its Rational Reconstructions. In Lakatos (1978a), 102-138.
- Lakatos (1974a): Lakatos, Imre. (1974) Popper on Demarcation Criteria and Induction. In Lakatos (1978a), 139-167.
- Lakatos and Zahar (1976): Lakatos, Imre and Zahar, Elie. (1976) Why Did Copernicus's Research Programme Supersede Ptolemy's? In Lakatos (1978a), 168-192.
- Lakatos (1963b): Lakatos, Imre. (1963) Newton's Effects on Scientific Standards. In Lakatos (1978a), 193-222.
To add an article in this book, enter the citation key below:
Citation keys normally include author names followed by the publication year in brackets. E.g. Lakatos (1970), Einstein, Podolsky, Rosen (1935), Musgrave and Pigden (2016), Kuhn (1970a), Lakatos and Musgrave (Eds.) (1970). If a record with that citation key already exists, you will be sent to a form to edit that page.