Scientonomy Seminar 2018
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Title||The sixth annual IHPST seminar on the theory of scientific change|
|Start Date||11 January 2018|
|End Date||29 March 2018|
- Application of Scientonomy to Other Fields: What is the broader relevance of scientonomy? How can scientonomy inform other fields of inquiry?
- Application of Scientonomy to Philosophy of Science: How can the findings of scientonomy be applied to answer the traditional questions of the philosophy of science?
- Deducibility in Method Employment: What does deducibility in the the law of method employment mean? Does it refer to the deducibility of classic logic, or to a logic accepted by the community at the time?
- Delegation of Authority to Individuals: Can there be delegation of authority to individuals?
- Individual and Communal Levels: How is the communal mosaic related to the mosaics of the members of the community?
- Mechanism of Error Rejection: When epistemic agent discover that a theory was accepted erroneously, they often reject the theory; the theory rejection theorem suggests that those propositions are replaced by something. What are they replaced by?
- Necessary Logic: What minimal set of inference rules (i.e. logic) is required for scientific change to occur?
- Normative Effects of Scientonomy: What are the normative effects of scientonomy on the process of scientific change?
- Philosophy of Science - Demarcation: Can scientonomy as a descriptive empirical science of science be applied to solve the problem of demarcation?
- Philosophy of Science - Relativism: Can scientonomy as a descriptive empirical science of science be applied to solve the problem of scientific progress?
- Philosophy of Science - Scientific Progress: Can scientonomy as a descriptive empirical science of science be applied to solve the problem of scientific progress/relativism?
- Possibility of Scientonomy - Preconditions: Under which conditions do the patterns of scientific change emerge and hold?
- Pursuit and Acceptance: What is the relationship between the process of theory acceptance and that of theory pursuit?
- Pursuit as Acceptance: Is the category of theory pursuit really distinct from that of theory acceptance?
- Role of Sociocultural Factors in Mosaic Split: What role do sociocultural factors play in a mosaic split?
- Scope of Scientonomy - Mosaic Formation: Should Scientonomy tackle the question of the initial formation of a scientific mosaic?
- Status of Impossible Abstract Requirements: What happens in situations where an abstract requirement can't be met? What do we do when we would like to keep certain theories but those theories are left in limbo?
- The Status of Holism and Ripple Effect: Is it the case that changes in one of the elements of a mosaic can have a "ripple effect" on the rest of the mosaic?
- Theory Displacement: Is it conceivable that, following the rejection of a method, that any theories which satisfied its requirements also would become rejected, seeing as how the reasons for belief in them no longer hold (in the eyes of the community)?
- Theory vs. Method Compatibility: What is the relationship between the Compatibility Criteria for theories and for methods within the same Mosaic?